Afternoon Links: The Hatchet-Wielding Hitchhiker Video That You Must Watch If You Don’t Want to Feel Left Out of the Internet This Week
Obviously, you should not hitchhike unless you really have no other choice. It’s also wise, in general, to avoid killing someone with a hatchet. But if you HAVE to hitchhike, and you HAVE to kill someone with a hatchet, you really should do it just like this. Homeless hitchhiker Kai Has-No-Last-Name (“No, bro, I don’t have anything”), of indeterminate age (“I can’t call it”), is maybe the only person who has ever been a hero in a story involving thumbing a ride and blunt force trauma.
- Kristen Wiig joins the cast of Anchorman 2 as Brick Tamland’s wife. They slapped a JUST MARRIED sticker on the back of a furry tractor and rode off into the sunset.
- High school football coaches have always been the authority on women’s body shapes, right?
- Scott Hicks (Shine, Hearts in Atlantis) is in talks to direct the adaptation of YA novel Fallen, “a Southern gothic supernatural romance.” BRB, gotta get all Jerry Saltz on this fan art.
- Can beer-powered beer power a more powerful beer?
- Britney goes Vegas. Why should I be sad?
- Judy Greer is working on an essay collection.
- The racial bias of Google ads.
- A sad visit to the somewhat janky Playboy mansion, featuring a cardboard Hefner, copious tampons in a basket, and a grotto that “looks like something somebody would overdose on in Russia :(.”
- Barnes & Noble is either in “transition” or has just been placed on deathwatch. Assorted depressing sentences: “Just stop closing the bookstores, she appealed”; “Is it what it used to be when you were opening 80 stores a year and dropping stores everywhere? Probably not”; “There was an initial belief that Borders’ bankruptcy would bring a substantial portion of its in-store business to Barnes & Noble, but that has not turned out to be the case.”
- Paging Dr. Facebook: We’ve got a bleeder in FarmVille.
- Bad heroin versus worst heroin.
- “We Are the World” + Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 + a grudge = this North Korean propaganda video.
- Last but not least, if you have a spare moment, please make your voice heard on Grantland’s Facebook page right now in a debate that threatens to tear apart at least two families.
Filed Under: Anchorman, Anchorman 2, Drugs, Google, Kristen Wiig, Loose Ends, Steve Carell
Lifetime’s New Reality Slate: Fix Your Hair, Fix Your Teeth, Fix Your Cryptically Race-Related ‘Inner Glow‘
Attempted Murder and Memes: The Slender Man Hoax Turns Horribly Real
Shark Week vs. Sharknado Week: Who Will Win the Coming Shark Wars?
Can ‘Houdini’ Help Johnny Depp Escape Hollywood Jail?
The U.K. Just Doesn’t Get Macaulay Culkin’s Pizza Band
Who Won the Scene? The News Team Street Fight From ‘Anchorman’
Ferrell’s Foils: The ‘Get Hard’ Star’s Greatest Onscreen Comedic Partners
Career Deconstruction: Is Will Ferrell in Decline?
The True Best Romantic Comedy of the Last Decade? ‘Anchorman.’
Why Does a ‘Hannibal’ Cooking Show Have to Be an April Fools’ Gag? Can Someone Just Make It Real?
More Hollywood Prospectus
Brand Echh: Sandra Bullock and Billy Bob Thornton Can’t Save the Lame ‘Our Brand Is Crisis’
50 Scenes That Do Not Appear in the Fox ‘X-Files’ Revival
In Praise of Beach Slang, 2015’s Best, Most Sincere Rock Band
Who Was Missing From Taylor Swift’s Miami Squad?
Happy ‘Halloween’: The Best Horror-Movie Monsters