Afternoon Links: Even Ang Lee’s Headed to the Small Screen
Happy Pi Day! Ang Lee’s next project, Tyrant, an FX drama pilot, tentatively begins production this summer. Lee will direct and executive produce, which is great news unless you’re “salty” Christopher Doyle, in whose opinion Life of Pi‘s cinematography was “a total fucking piece of shit.” He didn’t care for Lincoln, either, in case you were curious.
- Jeopardy! zings Taylor Swift.
- Let the Horrible Bosses circle be unbroken.
- Jennifer Love Hewitt, who likes to think ahead, is freezing her eggs because she’s “obsessed with babies.” BABIES EVERYWHERE!
- Great news: You can stop eating food. Good-bye, delicious food: “I feel full after drinking a single glass of Soylent and while the smell of Mexican food from the street used to drive me crazy, now I am unaffected. It’s like finding a new partner you really care about. When all your needs are met, you don’t have a desire to stray.” If you’re going to sell this stuff, though, should you really call it Soylent? I mean, ha-ha, but isn’t that just like drinking a glass of Diet Dystopia?
- The Westboro Baptist Church wasn’t going to say anything nice about Jennifer Lawrence, but then they remembered Winter’s Bone (“Winter’s Bone rocked! That was a great flick”). Resistance is futile.
- Shit Elliot Stabler Says: Meloni has been cast in the new Justin Halpern–Bill Lawrence comedy pilot.
- “The once abundant Hollywood Sex Scene is now officially an endangered species.”
- H/t to Dooneese.
- Good luck ever escaping the suffocating Duggar embrace. All of those arms will entangle you forever. They will follow you to the big city as if you were The Runaway Bunny.
- Tip your mods: SimCity gets tweaked. See also: meet the Redditors.
- Well, that was fast. TLC has a deal for an Oscar Pistorius murder documentary. Sad developments in the Gavin Smith case now seem to point toward a homicide, but can we wait like five seconds before we start writing our treatments?
- We’ve gone Kickstarter Krazy!
- “Foo fighters is the stupidest fucking name.”
- Maybe Dumb and Dumber To could erase the lingering aftertaste of Dumb and Dumberer.
- Secrets, secrets are no fun. “The crew that’s currently being hired for Jurassic Park 4 isn’t being told the director — a bizarre move for a film that presumably wants to draw people in to work, not scare them off sounding like they haven’t hired anyone.” It’s a very slim chance, but Spielberg rumors are floatin’.
- Razor blade doughnut, anyone?
- “Iowa Rodeo Clown Convicted in Pot Conspiracy” is my favorite headline of the day.
- Biggie’s ghost is going to star in a cartoon. Sleep tight!
Filed Under: Ang Lee, Foo Fighters, Jason Sudeikis, Jennifer Lawrence, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Loose Ends, Veronica Mars
Lifetime’s New Reality Slate: Fix Your Hair, Fix Your Teeth, Fix Your Cryptically Race-Related ‘Inner Glow‘
Attempted Murder and Memes: The Slender Man Hoax Turns Horribly Real
Shark Week vs. Sharknado Week: Who Will Win the Coming Shark Wars?
Can ‘Houdini’ Help Johnny Depp Escape Hollywood Jail?
The U.K. Just Doesn’t Get Macaulay Culkin’s Pizza Band
More Ang Lee
YouTube HOF: Bad Movies by Good Directors
Cannes Diary, Days 10-12: Spielberg, Explicit Sex, and a Seriously Shocking Win
Afternoon Links: Patton Oswalt’s Star Wars Filibuster Gets Animated
Cannes Diary, Day 1: Spielberg Gets Misty, DiCaprio Gets Wet
Video on Demand Report: Life of Pi Is on Demand; Maybe Now’s the Time to Get That 3-D TV
More Hollywood Prospectus
Brand Echh: Sandra Bullock and Billy Bob Thornton Can’t Save the Lame ‘Our Brand Is Crisis’
50 Scenes That Do Not Appear in the Fox ‘X-Files’ Revival
In Praise of Beach Slang, 2015’s Best, Most Sincere Rock Band
Who Was Missing From Taylor Swift’s Miami Squad?
Happy ‘Halloween’: The Best Horror-Movie Monsters