Do You Like Prince Movies? Podcast: ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier,’ the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and Guest Steven HydenBeyonce
Alex and Wesley talk about the new Captain America movie and what’s wrong with comic-book blockbusters. Plus, Steven Hyden comes on to discuss the state of music criticism. That conversation was inspired by an article in last Sunday’s New York Times Magazine, by Saul Austerlitz, about the problem with the alleged convergence of critical and popular tastes. They also discuss some of this year’s Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees, which include Nirvana, Peter Gabriel, Linda Ronstadt, the E Street Band, Cat Stevens, and Hall & Oates.
Wesley had to use a telephone again. Everybody is sorry about that.
Listen to the podcast here.
Here are some related links to topics discussed in this week’s show:
- “Patriot Act”
- “Who’s That Guy? Frank Grillo (From ‘Captain America: The Winter Soldier’)!”
- “The Pernicious Rise of Poptimism”
- “Indie Rock’s Tuneful Death Rattle”
- “A Paler Shade of White”
- “The Perils of Poptimism”
- “The Rap Against Rockism”
- “The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of the Future”
- “9 albums to hear before Thursday’s ceremony”
- “The Full Kiss”
To subscribe to the (brand-new!) Grantland podcast YouTube channel, click here.