Afternoon Links: Tobey Maguire Will Now Star in Something Utterly Unmissable
The Spoils of Babylon isn’t coming to IFC for another three months, so we’ve got a while to ponder this brazenly mysterious trailer. Is it There Will Be Blood meets The Royal Tenenbaums? Casino meets Walk Hard? The family saga about amorous siblings (Kristen Wiig and Tobey Maguire) comes from Will Ferrell and Casa de Mi Padre director Matt Piedmont; Ferrell will introduce each episode as a fictional author who wrote the work being “adapted.” A grandiose piano score may or may not be part of the final product. And still, knowing so little, we’d like to hibernate until January 9, please, if we may.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. got its full season order. It’s the third show to get a pickup this fall, after Sleepy Hollow and The Blacklist.
- You don’t have to operate on faith alone anymore: David O. Russell’s American Hustle will be great, and the trailer’s here to prove it. (You can see Louis C.K. for a second toward the end — !!!)
- Today in brilliant ideas: Mad Men’s Kiernan Shipka as the twins from The Shining.
- This year’s literary Nobelist is 82-year-old Alice Munro. She is the 13th woman to win. Congratulations, Alice Munro.
- Match the Tom Hanks hair to the Tom Hanks movie, you follicle expert, you.
- Lars von Trier’s Nymphomaniac has character posters. Check out Willem Dafoe’s O face. (And Charlotte Gainsbourg’s, and Christian Slater’s.)
- The Office’s Craig Robinson wanted to fly out of the Bahamas with some weed and ecstasy, which is legally frowned upon.
- Horrible Bosses 2 might cast Chris Pine and Christoph Waltz as a father-and-son horrible boss team.
- QT clarifies his admiration for The Lone Ranger, which landed on his Best of 2013 So Far list the other day: “The Indians have really been victims of a genocide. So slaughtering them again in an entertaining movie, Buster Keaton style … That ruined the fun a bit for me. I simply found it … ugly.”
- Kanye’s “Gone” — an excellent jam from 2005 — is suddenly no. 18 on the charts thanks to this viral video.
- And a portion of Jackass’s Bad Grandpa movie will feature Johnny Knoxville after he was unknowingly fed ecstasy by a college kid.