Afternoon Links: School of Rock Goes Broadway While Jack Black Gets Roasted
Andrew Lloyd Webber’s got the rights to School of Rock the musical. Meanwhile, Jack Black got roasted at the Friars Club for three hours, during which time he was called fat, a gnome, a chubby lesbian, and instructed (graphically) by Ron Burgundy to go fuck himself. Maybe he’ll get the chance to take that pain with him to Broadway.
- Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D. now has a longer title and updated press release.
- Annette Funicello has died of complications associated with multiple sclerosis. She was 70. R.I.P., our pineapple princess.
- Giant Veep head creeps on Washington.
- Chvrches does a casual cover of the Game of Thrones theme.
- Bates Motel gets a second season.
- Walt Jr.’s all growns up and he’s all growns up.
- Nielsen ratings are mostly boring, except when they’re not.
- “I’m suing every blog saying that I was kicked out of gymnastics.”
- Todd Field (Little Children, In the Bedroom) is set to direct Beautiful Ruins.
- Matthew Weiner’s spoilerphobia examined, plus Mad Men‘s affinity for ’90s stars.
- Ooooooh, secret 1972 all-female study on the effects of marijuana: “We were there to do a job and that’s what we did. In the face of being, you know, impaired most of the time.”
- Grindr fine art.
Filed Under: Jack Black, Loose Ends
Lifetime’s New Reality Slate: Fix Your Hair, Fix Your Teeth, Fix Your Cryptically Race-Related ‘Inner Glow‘
Attempted Murder and Memes: The Slender Man Hoax Turns Horribly Real
Shark Week vs. Sharknado Week: Who Will Win the Coming Shark Wars?
Can ‘Houdini’ Help Johnny Depp Escape Hollywood Jail?
The U.K. Just Doesn’t Get Macaulay Culkin’s Pizza Band
More Jack Black
Weekend Box Office Winners & Losers: Jack Black Scares Off Matt Damon
Comedy of Errors: ‘Ballers’ and ‘The Brink’ Aren’t Good — But Does That Really Matter for HBO?
Weekend Box Office Winners & Losers: ‘Ultron’ Still Hellbent on Taking All the World’s Money
Summer TV Preview: The ‘Walking Dead’ Spinoff, the Return of ‘True Detective,’ and More!
American Snoozer: The Dull, Earnest Predictability of the 87th Academy Awards
More Hollywood Prospectus
Brand Echh: Sandra Bullock and Billy Bob Thornton Can’t Save the Lame ‘Our Brand Is Crisis’
50 Scenes That Do Not Appear in the Fox ‘X-Files’ Revival
In Praise of Beach Slang, 2015’s Best, Most Sincere Rock Band
Who Was Missing From Taylor Swift’s Miami Squad?
Happy ‘Halloween’: The Best Horror-Movie Monsters