Afternoon Links: A Fine Tribute to Dennis Farina
Dennis Farina — otherwise known as Law & Order‘s Joe Fontana, New Girl‘s Walt, and Luck‘s Gus — has died at age 69 from a blood clot in his lung. Farina served for 18 years as a Chicago police officer before appearing in his first acting role in 1981’s Thief. He leaves behind a great legacy and a tribute to his skill for flinging f-bombs with grace.
- Perhaps this is Hollywood-adjacent, but I’ll sure miss knowing that Canadian artist Alex Colville is alive in this world. To Prince Edward Island we go.
- Hey, look! The circle of life! The royal baby hot summer single has dropped, and it’s a boy. Quick, think of something to say about that. You can’t bake a cake, wear a hat, and not have any opinions. That’s baby treason and you will be executed promptly and mercilessly.
- Billy Corgan was “TRAPPED” in a hot train.
- “Why, I can’t believe that fine gentleman who hocked all of those loogies and was a pain in the ass to every single human he encountered has run afoul of the law again!” —Nobody.
- Marijuana culture’s gender bias: “In pop culture, ‘stoner’ and ‘slacker bro’ are practically synonymous. The modern slacker-stoner, Chapkis writes, ‘resists the conventional expectations of manhood’ to be an ambitious breadwinner, as well as the sixties political, countercultural associations with weed. He’s just kinda … hanging out. ‘The slacker attitude relies on a mismatch between expectation and condition; this is why it is most available to white heterosexual men with some measure of class privilege.'”
- Ladies may not be able to dance with Mary Jane, but they can dance with Miley when they’re feelin’ 23.
- Def Leppard documentary, you are a couple decades tardy for the party. Pour some agave on me.
- The ultra-condensed Breaking Bad companion.
- So can I Kickstart a project to get $10,000 to Kickstart Spike Lee’s new movie so I can go to a Knicks game and dinner with him? Pay to playa-play.
- This butler and that butler went to court.
- SyFy is working on an adaptation of 12 Monkeys.
- Ah yes, the golden oldie “Divided Sky.”
- CBS seems to be doing a weird museums series. Obviously, L.A.’s are the best. If you still think the Museum of Jurassic Technology has dinosaurs, you better plan a field trip to see tiny trailers, read about duck-breath superstitions, and get lost in its deliciously creepy corridors of exhibits. Speaking of ducks: ducks.
- Interns should be paid. Just not these interns.
- The district twerked alone that night.
- More penis couture. ModCloth, you on this?
Filed Under: Loose Ends