Afternoon Links: All the Local Newswriters Reporting Mike Myers’s Impending Fatherhood Got Lazy on the Same Day
Imagine announcing you’re pregnant and getting about 50 of the exact same congratulatory cards in the mail on the same day. That happened to Mike Myers, only on local TV in essentially every town in America. Moral of the story: Mix it up a little, TV producers. There are plenty of Austin Powers quotes to go around.
- Three quick items of imminent newsiness: CBS picked up The Crazy Ones for a full season, I learned Robin Williams is on Twitter, and Mom and The Millers also got picked up.
- The Haley Joel Osment comeback begins with Kevin Smith’s Tusk and a movie from Chronicle writer Max Landis.
- Laura Dern, 46, will play 37-year-old Reese Witherspoon’s mom in the adaptation of Cheryl Strayed’s Wild.
- That Pusha T show Rembert just gushed about? You can watch the whole video at NPR.
- For $64, you can get scanned and turned into an action figure in an English department store. PLEASE SHIP THIS EXPERIENCE TO AMERICA.
- Vince Gilligan on piracy: “I see that there’s two sides to this coin, if I’m being honest. In some ways the illegal downloading has helped [Breaking Bad], certainly, in terms of brand awareness. The downside is a lot of folks who worked on the show would have made more money, myself included, if all those downloads had been legal.”
- Netflix wants to offer DVD-style extras on original streaming content. I want to accept this offer.
- Kristen Bell and Dax Shepard got marriaged.
- Fun Home is becoming a musical, so Alison Bechdel spoke about what it’s been like having her childhood — and her memoir about her father’s suicide — reenacted on a stage, in song.
- Unexpected: Danny Elfman wrote the soundtrack for David O. Russell’s American Hustle.
- Let’s creep on George Lucas’s financials circa 1968.
- And Lydia Rodarte-Quayle’s next gig is at ABC.