It’s here, it’s finally here. The NFL is back. To gear up, Grantland is exhaustively previewing the 2012-13 season.
• NFL Opening Night: The Cowboys Will Ruin Your Rug
Bill Simmons on dog poop and the first game of this year’s NFL season.
• NFL Season Predictions: The Plausible and Implausible
Predictions for Rex Ryan, Michael Vick, Randy Moss, Joe Haden, and the Bears.
• Introducing the BQBL Failure Machine (Also, Grantland’s BQBL Draft!)
The return of Grantland’s Bad Quarterback League, a draft email exchange, and the new BQBL Failure Machine.
• B.S. Report: Mike Lombardi
The return of the NFL season means the return of Mike Lombardi to the B.S. Report to talk all things football.
• The Bottom of the Barrel
Anyone can pick the contenders, so which teams will be battling for the no. 1 draft pick?
• The Inaugural NFL Trade Value Rankings, Part 1
Bill Simmons joins Bill Barnwell to rank the NFL’s most valuable assets, no. 50-38.
• The Inaugural NFL Trade Value Rankings, Part 2
Bill Simmons joins Bill Barnwell to rank the NFL’s most valuable assets, no. 37-1.
• B.S. Report: Bill and Cousin Sal on the NFC Over/Unders
Here’s Part 1 of the annual football over/under pod with Cousin Sal!
• B.S. Report: Bill and Cousin Sal on the AFC Over/Unders
Here’s Part 2 of the annual football over/under pod with Cousin Sal!
• Fixing Football
Chuck Klosterman offers three (kind of ridiculous) rule changes for our greatest American game.
• Avoiding Football’s Poison Pen
The 10 types of NFL contracts that will absolutely haunt your franchise.
• The Fantasy Shrink Is In
The rules and logic you need to win a game fueled by luck and randomness.
• B.S. Report: Matthew Berry
For the sixth straight year, Bill Simmons and Matthew Berry bust out their NFL fantasy preview pod. A must-listen for any serious fantasy football player.
• The NFL’s Technology Cornucopia
Get ready for an explosion of information that will change how we interpret and understand professional football.
• The Total Package
How modern offenses are rethinking the most fundamental elements of football “plays.”
Why pass protection might be the New York Jets’ biggest problem.
• The NFL’s Cloudy Crystal Ball
Here are the four new-school football stats that attempt to predict the 2012 season.
• The Woman Who Would Save Football
Dr. Ann McKee has been accused of trying to kill the sport she loves, but she may be its only hope.
• Mere Mortals
What we learned by comparing the mortality rates of baseball players and their NFL counterparts.
• Time in the Sun
Spending a (really, really hot) day at Patriots training camp.
• The Tight End Revolution Will Be Televised
Has football truly changed, or are performances like those of Rob Gronkowski just a fluke?
• Broncos Busted
Even with the addition of Peyton Manning, Denver’s Super Bowl dream is dead.
• The Evolution of the Hybrid Defender
Call them what you will — cornerbacks, safeties, linebackers — today’s defensive players are a bit of everything.
• Buc-ing the System
Don’t count out Tampa Bay; they have nowhere to go but up.
• A Dolphin Tale
If management can stay out of its own way, Miami has a shot at making some noise this season.
• The Case for an Improved San Francisco 49ers Offense in 2012
The reasons for being optimistic about the upcoming Niners season.
• The Niners Won’t Strike Gold in 2012
San Francisco is coming off a 13-win season, but don’t think that will happen again.
• The Over/Unders: Player by Player
Let’s break down a few of the tasty offshore bets being offered up for the upcoming NFL season.
• The Over/Unders: Team by Team
It’s that time of year again, when Bill Barnwell puts his money where his preseason mouth is.
• Climbing Out of the NFL Abyss
How does every football season wind up with several previously terrible teams in the playoffs?
• Fantasy Insomnia!
It’s time to forget everything you’ve ever read about finding a sleeper for your fantasy team.
• Gang Green Forecast
It’s time to look at the numbers and ask the question: Will the Jets be good this year?
• Who Is the Best Running Back in Football?
Most years there’s a clear-cut titleholder, but this season it’s up for grabs.
• Odds Are, You’re Ready for Some Football
A look at Vegas’s Super Bowl XLVII contenders, and a touch of NCAA fun for good measure.
• Playing Tag
It’s time to break down the six groups of franchise players in the NFL and determine who fits where.
• Look Before You Leap
Why it’s dumb to anoint a team ready for the Super Bowl. Plus, breaking down the NFL’s Top 100 Players list.
• The NFL’s Holy Grail
Are you ready for a total information overload? Plus, breaking down the sources of offseason news.
• The Top Battles to Be QB1
Which starting quarterback jobs are up for grabs? Plus, determining which offseason news actually matters.
• The Rookie Yardstick
Bill Barnwell introduces a new approach to measuring the success (and failure) of the picks.
• Solving the NFL’s Kickoff Problem
Advantages and disadvantages of replacing kickoffs and the onside kick.
NFL SEASON COUNTDOWN WARNINGS
• 27-Day Warning: This Guy Is a Redskins Fan
• 34-Day Warning: Return of the Gronk
• 41-Day Warning: Darrelle Revis Is Boring in the Good Way
• 42-Day Warning: Ed Reed Goes to Camp
• 44-Day Warning: Wes Welker’s Long, Luxurious, Flowing Hair
• 48-Day Warning: Walk-off Touchdowns
• 48-Day Warning: Patrick Peterson Is the Future Human
• 50-Day Warning: Let Us Rejoice in Matt Forte’s Payday
• 53-Day Warning: Drew Brees Signed!!!
• 54-Day Warning: Everyone Stop and Watch How Good A.J. Green Is
• 55-Day Warning: Ray Lewis Loves Joe Flacco, Reveals Meaning of Life
• 56-Day Warning: Peyton Manning Cursing Out Offensive Linemen
• 57-Day NFL Warning: Celebrating the Coming Jay Cutler–Brandon Marshall Revolution
• 64-Day Warning: Football Is Two Months Away. Celebrate With Some Megatron!