Afternoon Links: Watch Raylan Givens Murder an Innocent Swimming Pool
There’s a new trailer for the upcoming season of Justified, which returns on January 7. The money shot (literally): Raylan walking calmly away from an above-ground pool he’s just gunned down in cold blood. Can’t wait. (For more pools to be murdered.) Oh, Michael Rapaport is in this season, apparently. He fares better than the pool. For now.
- And this is a trailer for Season 3 of Girls. Seems like Hannah is going to be an important character this year. Didn’t see that one coming.
- Here’s a simple rule for life: Never scream “Shame on you!” at Martin Scorsese. Ever. Unless you see him kick a kitten. But even then, you should probably assume the kitten was asking for it, that the kitten was a rotten little cat-bastard.
- This Italian poster for 12 Years a Slave is maybe overstating Brad Pitt’s importance in the movie:
In case you missed it, this is apparently the Italian poster for 12 Years A Slave. pic.twitter.com/EKbGoc6IlX
— Nick de Semlyen (@NickdeSemlyen) December 23, 2013
There are also posters that feature Michael Fassbender. At least he’s in the movie more than Pitt. Though, again, any version in which Chiwetel Ejiofor is not being swallowed by the gargantuan heads of his more famous supporting co-stars is preferable.
- Ryan O’Neal wins the battle to keep an Andy Warhol painting of Farrah Fawcett, loses the battle of not disclosing that he thinks it’s haunted by Fawcett’s ghost.
- Note to the Weinstein Company: You are not a “winner” of a Golden Globe nomination, you are a nominee. Tricksy tricksy. On the other hand, the members of the Hollywood Foreign Press are easily fooled and this will probably work, so well played, Harvey.
- Nick Nolte is joining Fox’s adaptation of British detective drama Broadchurch. Having already cast (original series star) David Tennant, Anna Gunn, Jacki Weaver, and Michael Peña, the network is clearly not messing around.
- The two imprisoned members of Pussy Riot have been granted amnesty and set free, which they characterize as a pre-Olympics PR move by Vladimir Putin.
- It’s official: Vin Diesel is, in fact, playing that semi-talking tree in Guardians of the Galaxy. And they are adorable together.