Afternoon Links: Watch Breaking Bad Reimagined As an Ice Ballet
The book is often better than the movie it becomes, but rarely is the acclaimed television series better than the figure-skating routine it inspires. And inspired is the word: The passion that went into this frosty adaptation from Breaking Bad assistant editor Sharidan Williams-Sotelo is unfathomable. Someone better have a special five-act puppet show ready for the end of Mad Men.
- Here’s what Fox has to say about showrunners focusing on diverse casts: “Not only are you going to have more chances of a show being made here, more chances of a show being a success on TV, more chances of making it into syndication, more chances of a show selling globally and making you millions of dollars, but you are going to bring more viewers to our air and keep us in business.”
- Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Renner had a love fight over Marion Cotillard. It’s called The Immigrant and the international trailer is out.
- Charmed is getting rebooted at CBS.
- Ben Affleck won’t name his favorite Batman, but for some reason I think it’s Val Kilmer. Unless it’s Clooney. It could totally be Clooney.
- MTV will release a new show’s first season for streaming … before the first episode premieres on TV. Meanwhile, here’s a deep dive into the streaming wars happening between FX, Netflix, and Turner.
- Go see Metallica in Antartica. Or just go see this great headline if you don’t like cold places.
- Are you a teenager? New York’s IFC Theater will let you see the NC-17 Blue Is the Warmest Color.
- The Onion has a helpful Kanye West/Cuisinart Electric Rice Cooker quiz.
- New-thing alert: Artsy Grand Theft Auto V photography.
- Breaking (your ears): a video of Robert Pattinson and Katy Perry doing revolutionarily terrible Boyz II Men karaoke in 2008.
- There will probably be a tie-in between Captain America: The Winter Soldier and ABC’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- And David Spade has an hour-long Comedy Central stand-up special coming up. I hope it’s just Joe Dirt 2: Joe Dirtier.
More Ben Affleck
More Hollywood Prospectus
“Probably ‘Smokin Aces’, because it wasn’t my hair, and it was like, long beautiful hair that I could never grow.” … “Yeah. I take a supplement called Viviscal. And it’s supposed to help speed up your hair growth. And I really think it works, because my beard grows really fast and I have to get a haircut once a week while using it.” —Ask Jeremy Piven Anything About His Hair