Afternoon Links: They Are Geek Girls, They Are Legion
Basking in the afterglow of Comic-Con, it’s time to meditate on the importance of the geek. The music video above was the creation of The Doubleclicks, a pair of sisters who “sing about Dungeons & Dragons, dinosaurs, and Mr. Darcy,” and defend female dorks from people who apparently roam around policing nerd impersonators. What’s up with that? We live in a land where we should be free to be whatever kind of nerd we want, including the worst nerd ever, if we so choose. Hands off our experience points! [Escapes to Ravenloft.]
- Hey girl, want to finish your spider roll in here with me?
- Thanks for the tip! Google Glass hacked to provide ultra-creepy facial recognition.
- Into the Woods gets closer to a final cast list.
- Forecast gloomy: It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia will wrap with Season 10.
- Oh my god. Lifetime is adapting incestuous favorite Flowers in the Attic with Ellen Burstyn and Heather Graham. I am now officially the woman for whom Lifetime creates television.
- Who will mash up the Poltergeist remake with Rachel Getting Married? Another day, another regret that I didn’t go to remix college.
- CARLOS DANGER.
- Headline of the day: Woody Allen is just lazy now.
- New Zealand bans Elijah Wood’s Manic for being “more than disturbing,” and it’s hard to think of better press than that.
- The baby prince, now known as George.
- Ranking the best and worst television depictions of Asperger’s syndrome and the autism spectrum.
- Doug‘s Patti Mayonnaise is on Orange Is the New Black. Related: This is how I’m teaching myself Spanish.
- Kanye and Bret Easton Ellis are collaborating on “a project that’s kind of in the works.” Which reminds me of the time Ice Cube shouted out Less Than Zero in the same verse that contained the lyric “be my amigo, eat my burrito” (it was the best verse of all time, of course).