Afternoon Links: MGMT Would Like You to Know ‘Your Life Is a Lie’
MGMT’s video for “Your Life Is a Lie” has everything, like the musical equivalent of a Stefon nightclub: a fake book by Daryl Oates, Flipper, a fetus, a choir, basketballs with eyes, and topless people with cursive condiment messages written on their torsos. The band’s self-titled third album will be released in September, and it’s supposed to be a difficult one (Benjamin Goldwasser told Rolling Stone, “We’re not trying to make music that everyone understands the first time they hear it”). Not interested in Aphex Twin derivatives? Then perhaps you’d prefer to view the video for Mumford & Sons’ “Hopeless Wanderer,” starring Ed Helms, Jasons Bateman and Sudeikis, and Will Forte.
- Jimmy Pop and the Bloodhound Gang made a faux pas in Russia. They were deported, and I’m sure will face a hefty fine.
- Billy Eichner, a.k.a. Billy on the Street, will play Donna’s doppelgänger on Parks and Rec.
- Mariska Hargitay is lobbying for backlogged rape kits to be processed. Olivia Benson would be proud.
- Come have a seat in the gross corner: hacking fancy toilets so they squirt you when you’re not expecting it, and a “bus-sized lump of fat” called a “fatberg” has been uncovered in a London sewer.
- Breaking Bad, the children’s musical. Related: Walter White is on deathwatch. Not really related: I’d rather die in New Orleans than in Albuquerque.
- In dealing with the annoying but somewhat boringly bureaucratic Time Warner/CBS war, you are well-served by invoking Godzilla vs. Mothra, even for one tiny second.
- “Transcribing, my ass — I saw you looking at your iPod … Your name is Baron Von In The Moment!” — Jeff Garlin got mad during The Goldbergs Q&A.
- Headline of the Day, snatched from Fatberg: “Newsweek Dead, Everybody a Suspect.”
- Please produce something even tighter and dishier than Going Clear.
- Our culture takes Shark Week very seriously.
- Sounds like Waiting for Godot.
- For $300, you can purchase a super-realistic tiny version of yourself.
- Time Lord No. 12 has been announced.
- Come for the monarch mind control theory, stay for the psychedelic cat graphic.
- This Game of Thrones food blog does not, unfortunately, come with a dog sausage recipe.
- The Office audition tapes.
- The verdict is in: Your $330,000 lab-made hamburger isn’t as delicious as you hoped.
- Lady Gaga has a big secret, and you’ll probably never know what it is.