Afternoon Links: Maybe Don’t Go Into Any Coffee Shops Until Carrie Comes Out
Any video that opens with “time to fuck with some customers” is good in my book. While this one’s built in the mold of candid-camera shows designed explicitly to freak people out, something about it going down in a New York coffee shop, skewering even the most jaded espresso-swilling souls in the process, elates me. I like how the one woman takes out her smartphone after the dude gets slammed against the wall, but once tables start flying, she’s outta there. And then the thing ends with #flexlikecarrie. I mean, just, no critique. A-frigging-plus. Viral marketing that sends people screaming into the streets and spending the rest of their lives telling friends about the haunted girl in the haunted coffee shop in the West Village is everything I’m about.
- So … those Ron Burgundy/Dodge Durango ads? There’ll be 70 of ’em.
- Gay Talese answered so many questions about Esquire‘s legendary “Frank Sinatra Has a Cold” piece, birthing this ultimate annotated version. It’s like a DVD commentary on the Citizen Kane of magazine profiles.
- Childish Gambino’s new record will be called Because the Internet; here’s a downloadable track. Donald Glover is reallllly rapping!
- The ultimate Wes Anderson GIF encyclopedia is here. (Warning: Take care, it’s 150 GIFs, may destroy your computer.) (Double warning: It moves chronologically through Anderson’s filmography! The best!)
- Catching Fire updates courtesy of director Frances Lawrence: No more shaky cam, more love-triangle action, better CGI.
- Syfy ordered eight episodes of Jim Henson’s Creature Shop Challenge, in which 10 competitors “will build everything from mechanical characters to whimsical beasts.” The winner gets $100,000 and a contract to make Muppets and such.
- Someone gave the Breaking Bad finale conspiracy theorists the GIF they deserve.
- Britney Spears has her own misgivings and theories about the end of BrBa, actually.
- The absolute be-all/end-all of Schwarzenegger impressions.
- “I love John Lennon!” “Me too, let’s go fuck up his star on the Walk of Fame!” “Cool, I just learned how to draw a mushroom!”
- Eminem’s video for “Survival” is less a video, more a reminder he’s still doing the ’99 bleached-hair thing.
- And a This Is 40 subplot is happening in real life.