Afternoon Links: Making — and Breaking — the Rock Band
“Like Peter Gabriel going solo in the ’70s, Harmonix had some crazy new ideas, and it didn’t need Activision, the Phil Collins of video games, holding it back.” —“The Rise and Fall of Rock Band”
- Kanye dropped by Late Night With Jimmy Fallon to perform “Bound 2″ live for the first time.
- I don’t really want to know what Kristen Stewart did with an unnamed Middle Eastern prince for 15 minutes in exchange for a $500,000 donation to Hurricane Sandy relief efforts. I assume there was lots of frowning.
- Miley is rapping now, on Mike Will Made It’s “23,” featuring Wiz Khalifa and Juicy J. Nice work/life balance!
- Pippi removes her longstockings.
- If at first you don’t succeed, buy a fat suit, go undercover, and try again. Never fails.
- Jason Sudeikis has joined Kirsten Dunst in the cast of Sleeping With Other People.
- Blah blah blah new iPhone, now equipped with a moral conundrum.
- A guy with post-surgical amnesia realized he has a very hot wife while eating a cracker.
- You still love Arsenio. So does Paul Scheer, of course.
- The callbacks and parallels in Breaking Bad.
- Fox released the Season 2 premiere of The Mindy Project early, yet another reward of living in the post-patience age.
- Game of Thrones, patron of indie music (and, uh, Coldplay), has cast Sigur Ros in its fourth season.
- Kathy Griffin defended Lady Gaga against Perez Hilton, who had previously “declared war” on Griffin (“I believe the quote was ‘It’s war bitch’ … probably accompanied by a photo of me without makeup with some white jizz pouring out my mouth he had drawn on”). When Kathy Griffin tells you to stop being a jerk, it’s probably time to stop being a jerk.