Afternoon Links: Justin Bieber’s Blunt Trauma, Jamie Kennedy’s New Year’s Eve Memories
Justin Bieber tweeted a vague apology after TMZ published photos of him with a “smoldering blunt.” While some fans cast the eye of shade on Bieber’s “BFF” Lil Twist, others are taking this opportunity to air their beliebs that “weed is not the devil” and that Justin has as much right to a Funyun party of one as anyone else.
- Jamie Kennedy on his New Year’s Eve special: “I didn’t stab nobody, I didn’t shoot nobody. I just made a New Year’s Eve special. Is that so bad?” Maybe it was a prank, maybe it was someone’s Modern Culture & Media thesis project; either way, I like to kick off the year with a big slice of drunk Macy Gray wearing pink pleather.
- Paging through “Lady Edith with Googly Eyes” is like staring directly at a solar eclipse.
- Tempestt Bledsoe dances on the edge of the fiscal Cliff in a mini-Cosby reunion.
- Brad Pitt, maker of weird decisions and $45,000 chairs, is coming to Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter.
- Blue Ivy Carter’s “luxurious basement suite” at the Barclays Center costs $1 million a year and features a champagne bar. Dear Jay and Bey: I know a very nice 29-year-old baby who is up for adoption. Inquire within.
- Quentin Tarantino became justifiably cranky when NPR’s Terry Gross asked him about a link between the violence in Django Unchained and Sandy Hook. Calling the question “disrespectful to [the victims’] memory,” he also defends hypothetical viewings of kung fu movies in the wake of tragedy, though it’s still too soon for The Wild Bunch.
- Were you having a cheerful day? Here, let me ruin that for you: “I live in the chaos of adolescence, even wearing the same pair of 501s. As time goes by”; “I don’t live anywhere, have not had a home for too long, and the physical estrangement is psychically debilitating”; “I wonder what I was thinking about with all those other larks, my beautiful larks, larks flying away.”
- R.I.P., Huell Howser. I will always remember your “fly experience.” You will be missed.
- I like my bus-size sea monsters served straight-up fossilized, with a twist of fearsome teeth.
- GOLD IS THE ULTIMATE PASSION.
More from Tess Lynch
More Hollywood Prospectus
“Probably ‘Smokin Aces’, because it wasn’t my hair, and it was like, long beautiful hair that I could never grow.” … “Yeah. I take a supplement called Viviscal. And it’s supposed to help speed up your hair growth. And I really think it works, because my beard grows really fast and I have to get a haircut once a week while using it.” —Ask Jeremy Piven Anything About His Hair