Afternoon Links: If Bill Hader and Michael Cera Did Behind the Music
There is an indie act called Islands; they just put out an album Pitchfork finds kind of OK. Commemorating the occasion, though, is an improv-heavy YouTube clip about Islands’ dubious rock-and-roll legend status. Michael Cera says things like, “They’re all basically conductors, electrical conductors, and sometimes you can’t even give those guys a high five without getting a little zap.” Bill Hader, in top Bill Hader form, comes up with material like, “You’ve got a guy with a voice, who’s saying lyrics, out to you.” Alia Shawkat and Joe Lo Truglio also jump in, to delightful effect. Still haven’t listened to Islands, but if Ski Mask is half as funny as this clip, I’m giving it a spin.
- The Week made a Breaking Bad board game. Land on “I am the one who knocks,” move ahead three spaces.
- Know someone about to take their first flight? Be a horrible, awful, borderline terrorist of a friend and trick them into watching this! (Please report back if/when you do.)
- There are 24 new MacArthur “Genius” grant winners. They’ll get $625,000 over five years, but money can’t buy happiness. Only jealousy and resentment can do that.
- Was there ever a better person to get on a Reddit AMA than Robin Williams? “One time in makeup as Mrs. Doubtfire, I walked into a sex shop in San Francisco and tried to buy a double-headed dildo.”
- The “Wrecking Ball” director’s cut is a single shot of Miley Cyrus’s face. No nudity, no hammer, no ball.
- Buy Kurt Cobain’s childhood home, if that’s what you want to do this week. It’s a “tired, 1.5-story bungalow … assessed at less than $67,000,” all yours for $500,000ish.
- Bill Nye’s Dancing With the Stars greatness was too good to be true; he’s injured after Week 2.
- Trailer Alert Part I: Naomi Watts is Princess Diana, and she loves Sayid from Lost. (In all seriousness and fairness to Naveen Andrews, though: Congratulations for finally getting a big post-island part in something that, no matter how bad it is, will never be Speed Racer.)
- Bryan Cranston will reprise his guest role on How I Met(h) Your Mother for the sitcom’s final season.
- There’s “no question” more Arrested Development’s coming to Netflix. Go on and blue yourself again.
- Tina Fey’s hosting the first episode of SNL this year; here’s the promo. (Spoiler alert: Tina Fey watches Breaking Bad, too.)
- If Mandy Patinkin got to be his Broadway self on Homeland, it’d look like Homeland: The Musical.
- Trailer Alert Part II: Justin Long, Evan Rachel Wood, some borough called Brooklyn, horny barista Peter Dinklage, and an unexplainable Joni Mitchell title.
- If there’s a force strong enough to suck me into watching a couple minutes of The Voice for the first time ever, it’s the woman who voiced Tommy Pickles from Rugrats appearing on The Voice.
- Here you’ll discover a photo of the side of Kurt Russell’s face appearing in Fast & Furious 7.
- Samuel L. Jackson knows how to give a Playboy interview: “Look, Quentin has this master storytelling ability, and a lot of criticism from a lot of people is straight bullshit jealousy because they can’t do it themselves.”
- Kanye was super nice to the paparazzi today and nothing makes sense anymore.